Friday, January 20, 2012

Ceviche a seafood delight in Belize

Ceviche a seafood delight in Belize
January 20th, 2012
By: Will Moreno

Ceviche, as with many other recipes, has so many variations. In Belize, Ceviche is a seafood delight made normally from conch, shrimp, lobster, fish, sal picon (grilled skirt steak) and, yes, chicken.
The origin of ceviche is widely disputed, however, all I can say is, thank you, to whomever started this savory dish. Ceviche is made by mixing fresh seafood with lime juice, salt and pepper to taste with additions of onions, cilantro and sometimes carrots or even fresh mangoes.
Although I have tried the chicken ceviche and not yet tasted the sal picon ceviche, I must admit my favorites still remain the seafood ceviche made with either conch, shrimp, lobster or fish.
There are only a few places I would certainly recommend highly since I have tasted their ceviche while I have been in Belize. If you are on the island of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye I would definitely recommend you try ceviche from El Divino Restaurant at Banana Beach or KayDan's Ceviche Stall on Tarpon Street, just a short walk from the Airport. In Belize City you should try the ceviche from Ceviche Hut on Vasquez Avenue.
The popular treat of Ceviche is normally shared with friends and family over beers or mixed drinks, however, the delightful taste can certainly be appreciated with various tropical fruit juices.

When you visit Belize make sure to grab a seat and make an order for your ceviche, while waiting for your order make sure to grab an ice cold Belikin Beer and simply enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Ceviche is certainly one of my favorite things to eat! And I agree the seafood ceviches are really good. Another place to try in the city for really good ceviche (especially the shrimp) is Tropicolada - located just before the Tourism Village on Fort Street.

    ReplyDelete